Monday 23 January 2017




I feel that my strength in communicating with others would be my appropriateness of my language in different contexts. As the topic of a conversation changes, I will do my best to use the correct terms in the subject of interest. There may be times that I use other term to describe things due to the knowledge of the opposing party and the need to feel empathic for those who learn it now. In the case where a presentation is to be done, I will use the right terms as there is a need to ensure that everyone is on the same page. 

The challenges faced in communicating would be the lack of vocabulary, sudden forgetfulness of the word to use and at times due to the context made can be interpreted wrongly by the receiver. I feel that I am studying everyday as life is about studying. Even when in class or when speaking with others, there is times where either party will use words that I have no prior knowledge of. In such cases, I have learnt a new word which adds to my list of vocabulary. Communication is hard when the right word does not come up to the mind. At times like these, I will try to use a substitute for it. Though it does not all the time, it at least brings the idea across. There was a time when I was presenting and the way I bring a point across was interpreted wrongly as I tried to substitute a word for another. Such was a lesson I learnt in the process that one must always remember their slides and the terms that he or she will be using.

3 comments:

  1. Your strength is rare, as many do not choose to change themselves for others, but expect others to change or see them differently instead.

    Forgetfulness may not be linked to your lack of vocabulary, I've read a study that human only use a limited amount of vocabulary in their day to day conversation. Furthermore, simplicity is the best. We do not have to use overly large words in our conversation.
    I find that reading articles, especially news paper article, helps as the regularly used words in our society read and it would slowly comes naturally when we speaks. However, it is only my personal opinion and there may be other ways. I also know of reads the whole dictionary to improve the vocab.
    -Yi Feng

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you can try think less than trying to find the right terms while conversing and let the conversation flow by using simpler or light-hearted phrases or sentences when thinking to reply and such. It could help ease in helping you to convey your message smoother even with words unknown to the other party.

    I think what you could possibly opt for is to practice new vocabulary words with friends to get a better understanding of the word in simpler terms since many words are not easy to be used in a daily communication. Also I believe that asking on the words used by the other party is helpful so that you are able to understand the message. I find that by appropriately pausing them and to ask them helps and also it shows that you are listening to them and you can better understand the speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are capable in observing situations and have a strong understanding of that party point of view. During our presentation, you were able to bring an entertaining atmosphere in class and liked the way how you get the audience involved.

    You can try learning new vocabulary by practicing its meaning within a sentence for your knowledge. Reading books or articles can allow you to find interesting words through reference of a dictionary for your vocabulary development. You can use new vocabulary until you can have a better clear understanding for its use. - Daniel Tan

    ReplyDelete